Saturday, March 10, 2012
Learning From The Masters
I am so grateful that I attended the child and family career fair this past Thursday. I learned so much. I got there late so I didn't really know what was going on and I sat down in a class and wondered where everyone was, for there were only a few people in the room. I figured everyone would gather in one room and see several representatives of the different related professions come and speak. Instead, those form the differing careers were stationed in different rooms and it was the students who rotated between them. I got to spend a few minutes listening to our Brother Williams as he talked about how we could make the most of our progression toward our degrees and eventual positions in our chosen field. I also got to spend a few more moments picking his brain after the fair. I am studying to be a marriage and family concealer, so I tried to soak up his advise like a sponge. I learned that it is so very important that we try and get every ounce of experience in the field as possible. Brother Williams advised that we get jobs, even volunteer, near the professions where we would want to work. It will be hard to get a job as a marriage and family therapist if we're working as a waitress at the diner across the street. He also said that it would be smart to find an area of expertise. We will get more clientele this way, and form strong friendships and alliances with other therapists and counselors as we refer those we could not help as effectively as another. Getting as much experience as possible would also be helpful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment